Sunday, March 29, 2009

Train chaos, not the best start…

In the hour I’ve just spent at Exeter St David station waiting for a connection to Torquay, I’ve had plenty of time to think about what to expect at the conference, as a first-timer. Since I’ve finally made it onto a train which I hope is heading in the right direction, I thought I’d use this time to jot down some pre-conference thoughts.

I’m massively grateful to have been given the opportunity, as a student, to come to UKSG. As this is the first conference I’ve ever attended, and I’ve only been working with serials for about six months, I actually have no idea what to expect (I’m also new to the whole blogging thing, so apologies if this is a little clumsy!). I’m looking forward to chatting to other professionals in the field, meeting up with my fellow student delegates, and hearing what the speakers have to say (some of the breakout sessions look fantastic – I had a really hard time only choosing four!).

I’m also told this is a fantastic opportunity for “networking”, which I think is professional-speak for “talking to people”. I recently decided to see what all the hype was about Twitter, and signed up… and have rarely been off it since! I’ve been following the buzz about UKSG on Twitter, and am looking forward to meeting some fellow Tweeple in person. I liked Todd’s suggestion about using Twitter to record your thoughts during a conference, but I’m not sure I’m organised enough for that just yet!

Well, I’m almost in sunny Torquay (it really is! Really enjoyed seeing the scenery get greener and the sky get bluer as I got further from London…) so I’d better power my laptop down and find my hotel. Will have to post this when I get there. Looking forward to seeing some of you at the buffet tonight!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home