What can be done about The Big Deal?
• UK libraries should come together and actually negotiate with publishers as a national consortium. Scotland do have SHEDL which has been very successful and could be expanded to cover the rest of the UK.
• Perhaps move away from a subscription model and look at more of a doc delivery model. Sums would have to stack up but it’s not ruled out.
• Why is there a tax on digital information but not on print? We could stand together - publishers and libraries - to lobby the government to reduce tax.
• Usage-based pricing is not used enough but it’s very staff intensive to really analyse the data. Something for the wish-list.
• Librarians should just say no to big deals, be business negotiators and not just content collectors.